We are located at 5a Robert Street, Harrogate, HG1 1HP, next door to St Roberts Centre and directly opposite St Roberts Church. Whilst we have a strong association with the Church ( being in their parish ) we are not directly affiliated to them! We are a Committee led Club working for our Members.
The Club is open to all and everyone is welcome (including well behaved dogs on a lead!) Visitors to Harrogate are especially welcome. Please come in and see us - a warm welcome awaits!
Come and join us for a cheeky pint or a glass of wine! Come and join in with one of our events ? Please check our 'What's On' page to see what's on offer!
We have several rooms for hire at a reasonable cost and suitable for no end of gatherings! We are the perfect place for a Family and Friends 'Get Together' - Christenings, Funeral Teas, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Retirements, Re-unions, Baby Showers, Charity Events or does your Clubs or organisations need a place to meet? We are the perfect place - small or large.
The Catholic Club, Harrogate was founded in May 1912 by Parish priest Augustine Saxton and 18 men led by local businessman Antonio Fattorini. Initially the new club leased the cellars at 5 Robert Street and in 1920 the church bought number 1 and number 3 Robert Street . It was not until 1927 that the Trustees of The Catholic Club purchased number 5 on behalf of the Club members .
In the 1950 's the Club was renamed the Men's Catholic Club and men actually started bringing their wives to the club .
From the early 1960's the Club evolved into more of a sports and social Club , with darts , pool and football playing a part in it's social life .
In 1971 the Committee purchased 5a/7 Robert Street from Briggs Tyres. The Club had relaxed the membership rule of Catholics only and membership rose to around 300 .
The next 20 years saw another change of name to The Harrogate Catholic Club.
The new century proved to be a turning point in the Club's fortunes. Catholic membership dropped, many did not renew their membership, social habits changed and people did not drop in for a drink after work .
5 Robert Street was sold in 2014 and the Club nudged sideways into it's current place at 5a Robert Street in 2015 . It is now a modern building welcoming all whatever their religion, and known as St Robert's Club
Chairman - Mike Carpenter
Treasurer - Liz Alderson
Secretary - Eileen Toop
Other committee members - Jan Garvey, Steve Carpenter, David Pearson, Adrian Van Toren
Trustees - Richard Matthews , Mark Matthews,
Sean McDonagh .